Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Donation Wednesday

First we had Black Friday. Then we had Cyber Monday. Yesterday, someone conjured up Giving Tuesday. I found it apt that Giving Tuesday came in the midst of my very own Blog Appreciation Week, but chose not to make too much of it. Giving Tuesday tells people to give to charities and this blog is not a charity. It is not a 501-c-3.

I would be remiss if I did not point out that Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan celebrated Giving Tuesday by announcing that they will give 99% of their Facebook stock to charity. That will leave baby daughter with an inheritance of merely, by today’s stock price, $450,000,000. Don’t cry for Max—as the happy couple named their daughter. I hope you appreciate that the name Max allows the little girl to decide on her own gender. Facebook itself allows some 45 options. 

As Shakespeare said: "Oh brave new world/ That has such people in it."

I trust you also know that Zuckerberg is going to take paternity leave. Thereby he will be demonstrating that when you own enough of the company stock and you are the CEO you can do whatever you please, without fear of damaging your career.

While we are all very happy for the new parents, we should ask this question: when all of that money flows to charities, who is going to be spending it and on what?  I suspect that the thought will dampen your enthusiasm.

Where else in the media will you find such thoughts?

But, I digress.

Since Giving Tuesday was already taken, I have chosen to call today: Donation Wednesday. Since it is still more blessed to give than to receive, it is also more blessed to donate… to this blog.

I thank those who have already donated, and I am using the occasion of Donation Wednesday to encourage everyone else to do likewise.

You may donate by using the convenient PayPal button on the left of this page. Or you may send a check to my address:

310 East 46th St.  24H

New York, NY 10017

No comments: