Sunday, February 3, 2019

The Day the Music Died

It seems like it was only yesterday, but it was sixty years ago that the music died. That is, sixty years ago today a plane carrying rock stars Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper crashed in an Iowa cornfield, killing all aboard.

If you are of a certain age you might even remember where you were when you heard the news. I am and I do.

Anyway, the deaths were best commemorated by Don McLean in his rock classic, The Day the Music Died.

In memoriam, I provide a live version of the song:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

But the music really came alive in the 60s after those fellas died.

Webutante said...

I remember seeing The Buddy Holly Story live in London and remember its vivid depiction of musicians loading up the plane ahead of their untimely crash and deaths.

Malcolm said...

Like this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMlzfpwJZuc

Sam L. said...

All I can say is that I was in Jr. High. I don't remember that day.

lynney62 said...

Oh my! So many memories..And I still know all the words so could sing along..LOL! I was 15 yrs. old and remember the sadness of that day...Thanks for posting this...One of my favorite songs of many years ago.